The snow flakes and rain drops are officially flying! All this new weather can be hard on your car, that’s why Squamish Toyota’s service department got together to write down the top 5 things you can do to prepare your vehicle for winter.
- Winterize the fuel system – With dropping temperatures and increased moisture, the fuel system and all of the pipes and hoses that work in harmony with it, can leak or wear. Depending on the make and model of your car winterizing the fuel system can be tricky, you may want to seek out the help of the service department to knock this off your checklist. feel free to come down and see us if you have any questions.
- Check the antifreeze – The radiator needs a certain level of anti-freeze to lower its freezing point and prevent damage to the engine block. Bottom line- Maintaining the antifreeze will extend the lifetime of your car. Check out this article from e-how to learn more about antifreeze
- Put winter tires on when temperature reaches 7c – Insurance Canada agrees that leaving your summer tires on when temperatures get below 7 degrees Celsius can cause damage to the car and the tire. Check out their official news post here
- Check windshield wipers and washer fluid – Driving conditions can be worrisome enough with slick roads, factor in a lack of clear visibility and driving gets downright tough. Make sure your windshield wipers are in working order and that your car has plenty of washer fluid that is meant to withstand freezing temperatures before weathering your next storm.
- Have emergency preparation equipment in your vehicle- It’s important to always be prepared, especially when it comes to driving the sea to sky highway in winter conditions! Take some time to put together an emergency kit with items like a blanket, candles, water, snacks etc – to ensure your safe in case of an emergency.
**Bonus Winter Driving Tip: Check your spare tire and be sure you are familiar with how to access it, you never know when it will come in handy.
We want to make sure you have a safe season and that your vehicle goes the extra mile for you. If you would like more information on winterizing your vehicle please don’t hesitate to come see us!